Thursday, November 6, 2008

Kiuchi Hitachino Nest Commemorative Ale



Kiuchi's Hitachino Nest Commemorative Ale: Okay, it's a little short and stout bottle with an owl on it. That's the big obvious reason for trying this.

It also sounds delicious, "Festive ale brewed with vanilla beans and spices (coriander, orange peel, nutmeg, cinnamon)."

The main challenge with this beverage was the head. I was going to use my shorter jar glass and poured a small amount in slowly, and the head shot up to nearly the top of the glass. And it took a while to dissipate. So I got my taller weizen glass and referred to my "Beer for Dummies" book to see if I should be pouring it differently. Yes I am reading "Beer for Dummies". I never wanted to read a "For Dummies" book as I find their titles inherently insulting. However, I'm actually finding this helpful and surprisingly self-esteem boosting. Lots of people can't tell the difference between lagers and ales! No worries! Let's learn together! Awesome.

Anyways, the book tells me most beers should be poured "aggressively" straight down the middle of the glass. No tilting unless its an American pale lager. No tilting for me!

The majority of it is still head no matter which way I pour. A quick search through Google informs me I'm not alone when it comes to this brew. Phew!

It smells pretty orangey, looks pretty orangey, and tastes pretty orangey. Kind of sweet, kind of spicey, but not really any particular flavor. Besides kinda orange. In other words, it's alright.

2 comments:

  1. I just had some this evening. I poured ever so carefully and I still got a lot of head, too. As for the taste, I liked it. Not my favorite beer, but it was still very good. I'll have to try some of their other beers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you know you can shorten your long links with Shortest and make dollars for every click on your short links.

    ReplyDelete