Thursday, December 11, 2008

Beer A-Peel: Charles Wells Banana Bread Beer




I totally scored, after my last failed attempt. There's this sweet deal at a couple of great liquor stores around here that carry single bottles of "craft beers" - you mix and match a 6 pack and get 10% off! So I'm mixing and matching and lo and behold - I spot a Wells Banana Bread beer on the bottom shelf. Whoot!

I was eager to try this, although a little wary after my last banana-y beer that was a little disappointing.

It is an interesting drink! The bottle is interesting. It's pint sized, and I enjoy the picture of the banana peel around a glass of beer. The bottle is also very informative, as it explains that beer was historically called "liquid bread," so you add bananas and BOOM!= liquid banana bread. I also learn that this is a product of England, with fine malts, and fair trade bananas.

Appearance: Lovely amber, heavy on the reddish. A large thick off-white head that already looks like banana bread to me. The head dissipates quickly, with little lacing.

Smell: Bananas, not as overpowering as I thought it would be. A little nutty and malty.

Taste: Bananas! Also some hops. The aftertaste is bitter but burps (SORRY! TMI!) are WAY banana-y.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, light, light carbonation

Drinkability: It's definitely a novelty. But I'm glad I got to try it! If you're oddly craving beer and bananas at the same time, I would recommend this!

B+

5 comments: