Wednesday, December 3, 2008

The Nerds of Beer: Middle Ages ImPaled Ale and Beast Bitter






I went to a Renaissance Faire last year. It was my first and only one. And yes, it made me want to drink. Parts of it were fun, parts of it were offensive, parts of it were a bit titillating. But I did not really associate beer with it. I believe I had a glass of overpriced "honey mead" which was nothing to blog about.

But, when I saw these beverages from the Middle Ages Brewing Company in NY, I got excited. And not just because of the erotic label on the Wailing Wench (which was a little too pricey for me). Humorous labels, nerdyness; all good things here.

The Beast Bitter was great. I thought it would be super bitter. As far as I know, I have not had any bitter beers before, and "best (beast) bitters" refer to an especially strong ale, very hoppy. The head was huge, fluffy, and thick with lots of lacing left on the glass. This was true of the Im-Paled Ale as well. Thinking about nerds and head, I can't help but be reminded of the classic Simpsons quote from Comic Book Guy while eating Peeps, "If only the real chicks went down this easily." But I digress. Back to the Beast Bitter: 'twas golden and smelled slightly fruity or floral. While it was bitter, it was not nearly as bitter as I thought it would be. As you may have picked up on, I tend to be more drawn to sweetness but I really enjoyed this.

The Im-Paled Ale was also enjoyable. Somewhat citrus-y and floral in smell and taste. A little grapefruity and bitter. Pretty crisp. Possibly more bitter in aftertaste than the Bitter itself. A's all around on this fair evening.

All in all, tis a most fanciful thing to enjoy an ale or two.

Fare thee well good wenches and, uh, dudes.

1 comment:

  1. That wailing wench is SEXY! I think next time I drink with you I'm going to be slightly intimidated...I'll just sip my vodka in a corner while you make witty genius remarks...

    ReplyDelete