Thursday, January 15, 2009

Out on the Town: UFO's Hefeweizen, Dog Fishhead, and Punk Rock




Yeah I don't really go out, and I haven't been too many places in Providence, besides the $2 movie theater ($1 on Tuesdays!), the ginormous mall, and Spike's Dogs. But I wanted to find the Scurvy Dog Bar so my acquaintance and I went out on the town!

We went to the West Side which I had never ventured to, and promptly got lost. The street signs were confusing, and not a lot of buildings had address numbers on them. After trying to find the Scurvy Dog for a long time, we finally went to Cuban Revolution, a neat concept for a dining venue. I had been to its other location downtown once on a romantic date. It's a lovely spot. Small, intimate, candles on the table, delicious snacks. To wash down our "Che (sweet potato) fries" and maduros-shrimp kabobs (yum!) I got a UFO Hefeweizen which looked like a cloudy lemonade. It was missing the billowing head and lemon that it is traditionally served with. Nevertheless, I enjoyed the mild citrus flavor, the generous lacing, and light tastiness. The educational part - "Hefeweizen" means wheat beer that is unfiltered. That means the yeast is all up in that shit. I don't think I know how to identify yeast by smell or taste, but it accounts for the cloudy appearance. I easily could have had another one, but it was time to go find the elusive Scurvy Dog.

We drove up and down the road trying to figure it out. Finally we saw it. From the outside it looks like an abandoned shack. Dark windows, no sign, no neon lights. Definitely a little sketchy looking, but we bravely went in. A FANTASTIC spot. Small, but not as small as the outside makes it look, surprisingly clean bathroom(s!), loud punk rock music, a pool table and pinball table, and a great selection of beer for cheap. I instantly made "friends" with a black leather-clad gentleman who seemed partial to yours truly. I talked about how hard it was to find the bar, and he said, indeed, there are no signs or anything on the outside because that keeps the shitheads out. Made sense to me!

Anyways, I got my companion and I a Dogfish Head 60 minute IPA on tap. I had tried this before in a bottle, but not on tap. $4 for a very full pint glass seemed like a good deal. They also sell the Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA for $12 a glass. That one has 20% ABV and is for someone with a more sophisticated palate than I. I guess the number of minutes refers to how long the liquid is boiled with hops being continuously added. The 60 has "60 ibu" - not sure what that means. Anyways, I think I'm identifying the taste of IPAs. As well as the piney taste in the hops. I always think it's a little floral too. Delicious, complex, a lot of taste going on, definitely a drink to savor. A good night out, indeed.

Maduros: A
UFO Hefeweizen: B+
Scurvy Dog: A
Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA: A-

1 comment:

  1. I'm impressed that you went to a punk rock bar and had something besides a PBR. Way to get hit on!

    ReplyDelete