Sunday, February 8, 2009

Beerfest and Offshore Amber Ale

I don't know...It's Sunday night and I have a really ridiculous week ahead of me. Choices abound. Do I get some work done ahead of time? Clean the apartment? Watch the movie that's due at the library in 2 days? Watch Sunday night animation? Sure, there are probably other options but really that's all I have to decide. Then I see "Beerfest" is playing on Comedy Central.

I feel like I should watch it for education's sake. You know, learning about beer culture and all that. A sociological study. I'm still semi-watching it, to be honest. Even being distracted and playing around on the internet at the same time, I manage to keep on top of the plot, which is as weak as a luke-warm cup of Bud light. (Zing!) It's clearly the opposite of "beer sophistication" that this blog semi-strives for. It's a complicated competition basically betwixt some Americans and Germans in which they have to drink beer. Tons and tons of beer. For honor and manliness. I'm trying hard not to think about to too much but come on; why do large women ALWAYS have to be portrayed as sexually aggressive (and therefore, terrifying?) Although the rest of the women have no personalities and only giggle and admire the beer-swilling masculinity of the dudes. And also why are women portrayed as never wearing bras to beer festivals and always having their tops fall off? Since this is the tv version, both the curse words and the boobs are covered up. Still managing to follow the plot though! Impressive, no? I have to say, if you are looking for a buddy movie that revolves around substance abuse, Harold and Kumar takes the cake ANY day.

Anyways, I did have a beer to go along with "Beerfest". OffShore Amber Ale was on sale for $3.99 for a 6-pack. Exactly what this economy is calling for. I thought the price might mean it is grody, but NO! It's quite good. It's very pretty with its bright amber color, and nice thick, fluffy off-white head. It smells and tastes sweet, with citrus, caramel, and some bitterness. When it warms, pears and honey comes through in the taste. It's light, refreshing, and easy to drink. If I drank a few pitchers of this while losing my top, the "Beerfest" boys would surely be proud.

A-

1 comment:

  1. HAHAHAHA!!! This is absolutely brilliant. I can't believe you watched Beer Fest!!! You rule.

    ReplyDelete