Thursday, February 5, 2009

Dubbel Trouble: ?The Riddler?


Some people are into "cellaring" their beers. While most beers keep well on the shelf from 3-6 months, others can age well like a fine wine for a year or two. When storing beer, there is controversy - should beer be laid down, or stored standing up? If they are laying down that can cause damage to the corks (if the beer has a cork) plus it can cause an unsightly "yeast ring." I don't really know what that means, but BLEH.

I randomly picked up a "bomber" (22 oz bottle) of ?The Riddler? from Rock Art Brewery in Vermont. These beers are "inspired by the spirit of Kokopelli." AKA nerds! Which is fine.

According to Rock Art, this is a good one to cellar. Most of my beers sit in a closet for a week or 2 tops...Although this one kept for maybe a month. I have to say, it was delightful!

The appearance was lovely. It was a dark brown but appeared to be lighter towards the bottom. 1 finger of fluffy foam with excellent lasting power led to excellent lacing. It smelled strongly of raisins, cocoa, and cinnamon. It tasted sweet, nuts and raisins, malty, and warm. It ended on a surprising bitter, hoppy note. It felt creamy and was well carbonated. It had excellent drinkability, especially for an 8% abv bomber which I definitely felt towards the end.

I'm not sure why it's called ?The Riddler? - reading others' reviews, it seems it is a not true Belgian Dubbel, as it claims to be. I could not say. But I sure liked it.

A-

No comments:

Post a Comment