Sunday, March 15, 2009

More Wet Hops: Harpoon 100 Barrel Series, Catamount Maple Wheat

This is an "American Pale Wheat Ale" brewed with real maple and wet hops. I was SOOOO looking forward to this one. Then I got upset about some stuff today and realized a beer (and Sunday night animation domination) would help.

I've been into Harpoon lately, I must say. They make limited edition beers and this is their 26th version of "100 Barrel brews" - Catamount Maple Wheat. I LOVE maple. I once got my BFF some local sugar maple liqueur and we were disappointed that it was more alcohol-y than maple-y. I was hoping that this beer would be like a maple and hops coated punch in the mouth. It wasn't.

But it was beautiful. Amber on the stronger side of orange, clear and bubbly, with a thick off-white head and decent lacing. The smell was not strong, but had a little bit of citrus. It tasted of citrus, with a little bitter edge, and a caramelly-sweetness at the end. It's decent and has good drinkability...But I really do not taste any of the maple which saddens me. Next time I'm just going to do a shot of syrup.

B

2 comments:

  1. I just realized that my clever homer and bart dialogue was supposed to be a comment for this post, not the previous one. Oops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw THAT does make sense. I just thought you were following the simpsons theme/land of chocolate, etc.

    The simpsons quotes are ALWAYS appreciated.

    Now I'm gonna go get me some syrup.

    ReplyDelete