Tuesday, March 24, 2009

This is Grin and Beer It, Not "Bock Scallop!"

I'm really into the TV show Top Chef. Now I am not normally a huge reality show fan, but I do enjoy the drama, the delicious food, and the cuteness of Top Chef. One of my favorites from last season was Jamie, who was a cutie and a member of "Team Rainbow", as she put it. She cooked a lot of scallops. Another contestant made a snippy remark once about how "This is Top Chef, not Top Scallop." BURN! I get that phrase in my head from time to time, and you can actually purchase shirts with it.

Tonight I decided to be a Top Scallop. I have never made scallops ever and do not even understand what they are exactly. Apparently a small creature in a shell. I avoided all eye contact with my pet snail "Shorty" during this time. I did my best to follow this recipe and holy butter and sugar, it turned out delicious! I served it with garlic bread and mixed veggies.

Onto the beer - to wash down this delicious dinner I opened a Einbecker MaiBock. Frankly, it was an awesome pairing. It poured a nice orange with a finger of fluffy off-white head. At first there was a whiff of skunkiness, but then nothing but lemon and sweetness. It tasted sweet at first, but then there was a little spicy and hoppiness. I'd say it was "well-balanced." The mouthfeel was nice and crisp and drinkability was fantastic, I finished it off quickly. Education: Maibocks are considered to be a Spring beer (perfect!) - lighter than the average Bock, and more hoppy as well.

For my next German delight, I got a Paulaner Salvator Double Bock. Education: Double bocks are darker, stronger, and fuller versions of Bocks. Of course, I should have started with a plain old-fashioned Bock but it's too late for would-a, should-a, could-a's. It's nice. A similar orange color with small foam that dissipates quickly. It smells of caramel and fruits. Not a lot of carbonation, and a 7.9% ABV make this one more of a sipper. Not too sweet or too bitter, and definitely pleasant.

I am excited to finally be learning about German beers! And perhaps even honing my cooking skills. Hells yeah.

Einbecker Mai-Ur-Bock: A-
Paulaner Salvator Double Bock: B
Scallops: A-
Top Chef: A

3 comments:

  1. Those scallops sound awesome! Tomorrow night Carolyn plans to make a variation on her tequila-lime shrimp/bell pepper/yellow rice dinner: Tequila-sea-scallops-and-shrimp/bell pepper/yellow rice dinner! I'm very excited for the deliciousness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh maybe she can send me a recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I cannot believe you cooked and ate scallops! Way to be a grown up - good job!!

    ReplyDelete