Sunday, April 26, 2009

Delerium Tremens



My twinny recommended this one to me. I've only had 1 other true Belgian ale (Duvel) although a couple of others in the styles of Belgian ales. But before I get to the beer, check out that cheese platter. D and I needed a snack, so I decided to class it up with not 1, not 2, but 3 types of cheese! Some "light" wedges of swiss, some rounds of cheddar still in their wax (love it), and some fancy chilean papper cheese from Chile. Delish!

But anyways, onto the beer. After all this is Grin and Beer It, not Delicious Food!

First of all, the bottle is adorable. 11.2 ounces, and decorated with pink elephants, a strutting crocodile wearing sunglasses, and what looks like a dragon dancing on a sun. If I was a child, this is the first beer that would appeal to me.

This is a Belgian Strong Pale Ale. It looks like sparkling apple juice, with visible carbonation, yeasty sediments, and a bit of lacing but no head to speak of. The smell is not strong to me, but there is some slight apple, floral, perfume, and "fermenty" - maybe that's what yeast smells like? Tastes is good, like all of the above, but compared to Duvel, more thin and watery, slightly more bitter. There is some alcohol warmth as well. The mouthfeel is thin and fairly crisp. It has good drinkability and is refreshing. But for the price and alcohol, 1 is enough.
B+

2 comments:

  1. "Light wedges of swiss?" You are hilarious. And DF appreciates the shout out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well maybe DF should get on the ball and post more. God.

    ReplyDelete