Thursday, April 30, 2009

Reaching True Brew Sophistication

When I first started this blog, I was reading beer reviews, and could not take them seriously. I mean, come on...All this fuss over beer? Who really cares about hop varieties and mouthfeel? Who can talk about yeast seriously? Then I started to learn...And I began to realize...I can. Hey guys, me too, wait up! I had a significant moment recently where my original light-hearted hobby got serious. I even had my first beer dream.
Then I also started to realize how much I love buying beer. It's fun to read about beer, to learn about different styles, and to see people's preferences. But it's super fun to seek out some of the harder-to-find beers and to start finding stuff I've heard about but never tried. Especially at places that let you "mix-a-six" for a discount! The photo is my "cellar" (kitchen storage closet) after some recent purchases. This is by far as full as my cellar will ever get and will last me a long time. But I must admit, it gives me great pleasure to gaze upon my purchases and think about what I may try next. I'm excited for the Lagunita's Maximus, the Dogfish Head's Festina Peche, and Rogue's Dead Guy Ale. At the same time there are some I am not excited about, so if you'd ever like to come over and drink Beck's Light, just let me know! I even separate the beers sometimes...In this particular pictures it's basically stubbys at the bottom, lots of summer ales in the middle, and random stuff at the top. Sometimes I group them together by "blog-worthy" and "un-blog-worthy." Yup, I'm serious. I think I can compare it best by thinking about getting into music as a teenager and buying as many CDs as I could, and taking pleasure in alphabetizing them or grouping them together by genre.
I think perhaps I have converted.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! You're now a nerd in one more way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that feeling. It can be fun, but also tough to share sometimes with Coors Light friends! Keep writing about what you find, like and dislike. It is always interesting to see people's different preferences.

    ReplyDelete