Friday, June 19, 2009

Rainy Days and Thursdays: Samuel Smith Oatmeal and Magic Hat #9

After work. Dreary, dark, rainy day. BLEH.

Went to neighborhood tavern. Only been there once before. They brag about "99 bottles of beer on the wall" and several taps. Really, it's nothing too impressive. Kinda dark and cruddy. But, whatever. Stopped by after work, and no one else was in there.

I had read about Burton Baton earlier and had something delicious with hops and vanilla on my mind.

However when I came to the tavern I was not too wowed with their selection. Then I was indecisive. The kindly barkeep gave me a sample of their newest micro:
Sample (hefty) of Wolaver's Pat Leary Organic All American Ale.
It was golden brown. Smooth, well-balanced. Smelled a little hoppy.
But nothing that WOWED me. I wanted to be wowed. Is that too much to ask for?

So I got a Samual Smith Oatmeal Stout. Hearing amazing things about it. I've had a couple of Samual Smiths before, but not the famous Oatmeal stout.
It poured a dark black with a bit of light brown foam that disappeared into a ring.
it smelled delicious - light cocoa, roasted malts (but not overly roasted, like meaty-beers), and coffee without being overwhelming.
It was thick and chewey with some viscocity going on up in here.
The taste was sweet-to bitter-to sweet, ends on a light/sweet coffee-cocoa note. There's something bready going on, I suppose the oatmeal. It feels like a meal. I actually tried to look up calorie info, interested to see how it compares to other stouts.
*There is a misconception that darker beers are "heavier" and more fattening than light-colored beers. This is totally untrue. Some light-colored beers are heavier in alcohol and have more calories. Guiness is actually on the low side of calories, but people always say it's "like a meal." Personally, (one might say "IMHO") compared to the Samuel Smith, Guiness is like drinking water.

A

Later at home i had a Magic Hat 9 from VT. It was labeled on the bottle as "not quite a pale ale."
A) True to its name it was a shade darker than a typical pale ale. Light amber, fluffy white head with sticky lacing.
S) Good - sweet, honey, citrus, mild hops.
T) This was a couple of hours after the SS Stout. The first couple of sips, therefore, tasted like water. But then I got used to it, and found it refreshing. Light lemon. Grass. A pineapple/honey taste? that I could not define. **
M) Crisp, light
D) Good. Only 4.8%ABV. Refreshing, could see it being pleaseant on a hot day. UNTIL...I was about 2/3 of the way done. I was trying to figure out what the sweet//fruit smell and taste was.
**I looked online, and it turns out this is brewed with apricots! I've had a couple of bad experiences with peach/apricot beers. So I don't know if it was mental or what, but all of a sudden this artificial peach smell jumped out at me, and the spricot was too much.

C

Outro): "Hanging around! Nothing to do but frown! Rainy days and Mondays always get me down..."

3 comments:

  1. When you typed viscosity, I thought:

    Well, ordinarily when you make glue, first you need to thermoset your resin and then after it cools you have to mix in an epoxide, which is really just a fancy-schmancy name for any simple oxygenated adhesive, right? And then I thought maybe, just maybe, you could raise the viscosity by adding a complex glucose derivative during the emulsification process and it turns out I was right.

    Also, have I mentioned how impressed I am at your knowledge of all this? Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I love Reem's comment.

    And also that you put a Carpenter's video. I think that Karen Carpenter had one of the best voices ever.

    ReplyDelete