Sunday, July 26, 2009

Moving + Weihenstephan Hefeweissbier

I move every summer. Or at least I have for the past 8 years. Sometimes it is long, like from Michigan to New Hampshire. Sometimes it is right next door. This year it was an hour away, to fully move-in with my partner instead of splitting my time between work and home. So not a bad move, but moving nonetheless. And it is a law that moving on a hot day = beer and pizza. No pizza for me, but I did have a delicious brew that I had been saving for a worthy day, this one being a delicious Hefeweissbier (Hefe = yeast, Weiss = wheat, Bier = beer).


The Weihenstephaner brewery in Freising, Germany claims to be the oldest brewery in the world. I don't know if that's true, but I do know that they seem to know what they are doing when it comes to Hefeweiss beer.

I poured this in the "inverted style" as shown on this helpful, and entertaining, video I found via youtube.


Appearance) 2 fingers frothy white head atop of a hazy apple-juice colored brew with lots of visible carbonation.

Smell) YUMMY: lemon, banana, cloves, bubblegum, wheat. Great balance of scents.

Tastes) Started sweet and banana-y then tart-lemon, with a bubblegum-wheat finish. Delicious. Definitely more sweet than bitter, but not in an over-the-top way. Heavier cloves than I've noticed with other hefe's.

MF) Smooth, plenty of carbonation, medium mouthfeel.

D) Fantastic. A great hot-day-after-moving beer. And just 5.4% ABV. Definitely a high drinkability.

This may not be my favorite of styles, but if you're in the mood for a wheat beer, this one is pretty fantastic.

A-

1 comment: