Thursday, September 24, 2009

YOW! Getting Spicy with Rogue's Chipotle Ale

I haven't tried many from Rogue brewery, in OR, although I often admire their lovely bottles and interesting sounding varieties. So imagine my delighted surprise when my gf came home with a bottle of Rogue's Chipotle Ale "just because." And she does not even drink beer. Swoon! I was not sure if I'd like it, but when we decided it was taco night, I decided I needed to try it.The bottle was decorated with a rendition of author Juan de la Cueva who wrote of a recipe using beer and chipotle seeds. Hence, chipotle ale!
The appearance was lovely. Amber with large sudsy off-white foam creating a large head that dissipated into a foamy ring around the top and lots o' lace.

The smell was mild. Sweet malts and just a bit of spice. Not as powerful and spicy as I thought it would be.
The taste: At first a nice sweet malty amber ale. And then - just the delightful flavor of chipotle (ripe and smoked jalepano peppers). There definitely was spice, but not in a super hot way. More like the flavor of the peppers. I could feel some heat though, and wondered if it was the spice, or the alcohol. Looking up the ABV - only 5.5% So the warmth was definitely spice-related.

If you like spice and chipotle flavor, you should definitely try this brew. Especially at taco night.

A-

2 comments:

  1. Rogue makes some interesting beers, I've only tried the Dead Guy Ale. I have been curious about this one! I do like chipotle peppers so it sounds like I should give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice... I've been curious about chipolte beers for some time now. Coincidentally, I just recently tried another oddball Rogue beer, their Morimota Soba Ale. Soba adds an interesting flavor but it goes great with Chinese...

    ReplyDelete