Monday, November 9, 2009

Everybody Must Get Stone: Ken Schmidt and Oak Aged Arrogant

Man, oh Womyn. It's been like 6 weeks since I've blogged. Never fret, dear reader(s?) - I have enjoyed some delicious beer during that time. Some Dogfish Head Punkin Ale at a bar in Philly as well as at Halloween. A lovely Belgian Delerium Tremens while out on the town with a visiting friend.

And over the weekend, 2 different beers from the Stone Brewery out in CA.

I've tried a couple from Stone, in particular the delicious Arrogant Bastard. The first I tried was randomly picked up. There was a whole bunch of them in single bottles. Upon inspection I realized it was a Stone product, later learning it was a collaboration between Stone, a Hawiian brewery, and a lucky home-brewer named Ken. The result? a Kona Coffee Macadamia Nut Coconut Porter. Sounds delicious and intense right? Right.
Fun fact: "porters" became a popular style in 18th century England among transportation workers. Hence, the name. American style porters take some initiatives with this style, adding coffee, chocolate, hop bitterness, or in this case, a multitude of nuts and coffee.

Appearance: This poured a very dark cola-esque brown. The thin dark brown head was fizzy and disappeared almost instantly. The liquid was viscious against the glass but left no lacing.
Smell: Coffee instantly stood out. Dark, roasty with a very mild sweet coconut smell coming through.
Taste: Wow - very flavorful! "Smokey," "nutty," and "roasty" all came to mind. Strong, big flavors of coffee and bitter chocolate. I found it to be balanced with a wee aftertaste of coconut.
Mouthfeel: Somewhat soft and chewey, plenty of carbonation, and "coating of the tongue," if you will.
Drinkability: Good. Fairly high in alcohol at 8.5%, but I couldn't taste it. It's a big and intense flavor, so one was plenty. But definitely enjoyable. Recommended with a SKOR BAR.
B+

Next was an Oak Aged Arrogant Bastard, one that I've been keeping for a special occassion. In this case, there was no real occassion except a day off work. I love the regular Arrogant Bastard, so was eager to try this. I don't really get what oak aging does, except add a little flavor and "mellow it out," man. Or something.

Appearance: Gorgeous. Deep amber. Looked brown but bright ruby RED when held to the light. The sticky 1 finger brown head lasted for a long time and left a frothy ring around the glass and tons of lacing.
Smell: Strong vanilla stood out, then dark fruits, malts, and spice, along with a noticeable smell of alcohol. I asked my non-beer-drinking gf what she thought it smelled like and she said, "alcohol and Christmas" which was a better description than I could come up with.
Taste: Nice. Similar to the regular Arrogant Bastard but more malty and rich. The alcohol was also more noticeable in the taste, although the amount is stil 7.2%, same as the original.
Mouthfeel: Soft and chewey
Drinkability: Good, but would have been better for me if the alcohol was less noticeable in the taste and smell. This is a rich, flavorful beverage; something to savor. Unfortunately, after I drank half the bottle I spilled the rest on the carpet. I promise, I was not drunk, only clumsy. And now our carpet smells like old Oak Aged Arrogant Bastard. Which is not so great. B+

1 comment:

  1. Atta girl! You're back in the saddle! On the wagon? On the trolley? Regardless, YAY for you blogging!!! xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete