Monday, February 22, 2010

Drinkin' With the Devil: Belzebuth.

Check it out:
There is just something adorable and irresistable about a little 8.4 oz. bottle proclaiming "Belzebuth"! "Pur Malt!" "France!" "13% Alcohol!"...All with a little picture of a devilish creature. How could I resist? This ale reigns from the Brasserie Grain D'orge in Northern France. They describe Belzebuth as a "golden ale" with a "pungent taste" due to the combination of a special yeast with 3 malts. They also suggest you enjoy it with a "sinful dessert." Muwa-ha-ha-ha.

(As an aside: you may want to scroll down to play the music video. The soundtrack for this beer review is obviously "Beezelboss" by Tenacious D. Obviously).

I was not sure what to expect with this. On label it largely proclaims the 13% abv and not much else, besides "the most unique ale in the world." This boasting annoys me, but I try to remain open-minded. Afterall, cockiness is a devilish attribute.

Upon opening the bottle, I got a huge whiff of alcohol, along with some malts. The smell mellowed out to fruit, namely grapes and citrus. Mildly sweet.

And as for the tasting, it started sweet and grapey to a more dry and alcohol-finish. Grapes is the strong flavor to me, along with some bread and pepper. It actually reminds me of a white wine. The alcohol is noticeable but not overwhelming. It can be felt; about half-way through my face is *warm* as is my stomach. I like this a lot more than I thought I would! I thought it would be too boozey.

Overall, this was surprisingly good. I thought this would be a very slow sipper with a really strong alcohol flavor. But I enjoyed it and drank 1 bottle easily (but could feel the alcohol so one was enough). And I do agree with the label - it's a unique ale. Darn you, Belzebuth...You were right.

B+

3 comments:

  1. EXCELLENT JOB on the soundtrack. The review was fine too.

    Hahahaha - it was all wonderful. I just get excited about Certain Jableses...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, you know. I had a hunch you might like that one.

    ReplyDelete