Thursday, February 4, 2010

Happy Beer-Day!

Ahhh...Little Sophisticated is growing up. No longer a wee confused babe in the woods of ales. Last week I turned...31. Yes, 31. And to celebrate? Oh boy!

1) Sam Adams Brewery Tour: 'Kay this rules. It's free. You touch, smell, and taste various types of malts and hops. The dude leading the tour is funny. Then you sit at long tables and taste. Taste! With your free 7 oz. tasting glass. We tasted their Boston Lager, Brick Red Amber, and Winter Ale. Yum, yum, and yum. It was funny how the room got louder and louder with each sample. We also learned the appropriate steps to appreciating beer.

For example, here I'm demonstrating how to check your beer for clarity and proper filtering. If you can see your fingers on the other side of the glass, you're "in the clear."
Here I'm tasting a sample! Just kidding. Geez. I also purchased a "perfect pint" glass, scientifically designed to make your beer perfect. Some of the features include a wide mouth to allow smelling and tasting simultaneously, and etchings on the bottom of the glass to allow for continuous release of the carbonation. And sexy, sexy curves.

Next, we went to Doyle's, a pub near the brewery. After all that beer, I wanted fried things. I had: garlic fries, sweet potato fries, fried fish sandwich, and (really good) (and fried) onion rings. The pub gives out FREE perfect pint glasses to people who went on the brewery tour! I also got nice presents, including a book I hope to use someday.

Perfect Pint Glasses! 1 was free! And a tasting glass. Also free!Then...A very lovely gift from my Oregonian sister. 3 delicious West coast beers I am eager to try. Including the much-lauded Pliny the Elder and Abyss. So generous and exciting!

Thanks to all who helped make my birthday a happy beer-day.

1 comment:

  1. Oh this looks like so much fun! I hear there are some fun brewery tours out here, maybe we can check them out if you ever come out and visit again *hint*

    ReplyDelete