Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Hott Like Fire: Cave Creek Chili Beer

Yee-haw! Thanks to a kindly beer geek in Texas, I got hooked up with a bottle of this crazy brew. Cave Creek Chile Beer. (Check out the website! There's an educational cartoon about the masculinity of chile peppers. It's entertainment.) I was pumped to try this notorious beverage! Yet scared. I thought it would be hella nasty, stomach turning, vileness. It actually was kind of good in a bad way, you know?

I like spiciness. This is some spicy beer. My experience with chile beer has been limited to Theobroma and Rogue's Chipotle Ale. Cave Creek is, shall we say, less complex than both of these.

The appearance is the worst part of the beer. It's crystal clear yellow, kind of flat, and no head. Then the fun part - a sketchy looking chile pepper floating in the bottle (and then my glass). Seeing that pepper bob up and down, floating dangerously close to my mouth...Bleh.

Smells: bell peppers, chile peppers, hot sauce.

Tastes: like the same. The pepper and spice totally overpowers the "beer" characteristics. It's like chile pepper juice.

The mouthfeel is surprisingly thick for the appearance and flat.

Drinkability: Do you like spice? And not much else? If so, this is really not that bad. I got through 2/3 of the way through before pouring the rest down the drain. No it's not complex. No, you probably wouldn't serve this at a fancy lobster dinner with the pope. But for a novelty item, it's kind of good and even a little refreshing. I wish I had some tacos or nachos or something to eat with it. I'm glad I got to try it.
D

1 comment: