Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Back on the Blogging Wagon: Molson Canadian

It's been a while, eh? Or maybe I should say, "It's been a while, AY?" Because today I'm talking Canadian. Sadly, I'm on a tight beer budget these days. Luckily I am living with my dad who is an enthusiastic beer drinker. Enthusiastic, but fiscally responsible. He tends towards Killian's Irish Red as well as Canadian lagers, such as today's selection, Molson's Canadian Lager.

I've been so out-of-touch with my "beer roots" as of late, I did not realize that Molson = Coors. They are one and the same, but Molson is the Canadian version. But I try to be open-minded, as I drink from the palm of The Man.

I crack open a bottle of this and pour into a giant tumbler of a glass that a cute girl left in my car. Is the glass 2/3 full or 1/3 empty? While you philosophize, I'll fill my glass up with a can of the same stuff. Yep, we had both cans and bottles of this at home. I'm guessing there was a sale.
So I filled my glass mightily. Ahh, that's more like it.
Appearance: The color of pale apple juice with a big sudsy white head with decent retention. It left small spots of lacing in the glass.
Smell: Extremely mild. A tiny bit of sweet green apple and corn.
Taste: Again, very mild but well-balanced and mostly inoffensive. The bit of white grape malts turned into a slightly bitter hops flavor. Maybe a little hay or grass. And a tiny big of metallic aftertaste.
I made some din-din. This beverage is crisp, light, and mild enough to go with probably anything. Ya know, its okay for the style.

The bottle and can claim that its "The Best Canadian Has to Offer." Somehow I doubt that. Immediately I think of Unibroue in Quebec...And then...Um, other Canadian beers? Awww, sorry neighbors to the north. I have neglected ye. Yet another topic to research and become learned upon.

It also boasts no preservatives. Is this unusual? Hops and alcohol act as a preservative in beer. Both of those components are pretty darn important. So this tasting venture leaves me with 2 questions for you, dear reader(s):
1) Best Canadian beer?
2) Do most beers have preservatives, other than alcohol and hops?

C+

1 comment:

  1. Speaking of Unibroue, my vote goes for their Maudite. Sadly being in western Canada-up above Montana-I've only had a couple of their beers. Another great Quebec brewery is Dieu du Ciel - really I mean Really enjoy their Peche Mortel(translates as 'mortal sin'), an Imperial Coffee Stout. The Dernier Volonte(trans. 'last will')is a pretty decent Abbey style blonde ale. But my favorite so far is what I hear is renamed Aphrodite in the states. i've got that same sweet tooth & this's a Great chocolate/vanilla stout...2 bottles of a six-pack left, I'm slippin'!;-) And another goood stout-if stouts are your thing-from Quebec is the St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout. I see in a beer blog that also make a fairly decent Apricot Wheat Ale(which I should probably try).

    But, nah Molson Canadian...kinda 'training wheels' beer, get you prep'd for the real thing lol. (sorry Molson, call 'em as I see 'em)

    ReplyDelete