Friday, December 31, 2010

Beer and Curds at the Olde Fashioned

So I'm visiting my BFF in Madison, WI to ring in the new year. Last night we went on a bro-mantic date to the Old Fashioned, which I will now refer to as the "Olde Fashioned." It's a nice bar and restaurant celebrating Wisconsin food and drink.My first beverage was an American Pale Ale called Hopalicious from Madison's own Ale Asylum. It was fantastic. Very pretty - a clear pale amber with a sudsy thin head that left lots of lacing...See? Purty. The first smell I noticed was pineapple. The nose was a nice citrus and hoppy bouquet.

It was very tasty. Sweet citrus turned into bitter hops. The flavors were strong but not overwhelming, making this a very drinkable beer. It had a medium and smooth body, and was well-carbonated. I found myself drinking this very quickly. It was tasty, refreshing, smooth, and hoppy. In fact, hoppy and delicious...Hence the appropriate name - Hoppalicious! Perfecto.
Next was the Whole Hog Barleywine from Point Brewing in Stevens Point, WI. I had remembered having this on my last visit to Madison and enjoying it. Plus, geez, $3 for a 10 oz. snifter ofdelicious and boozey drink is a bargain. It was a very dark brown with reddish highlights and a thin white fizzy head. It smelled sweet, malty, and a touch alcoholic. It had nice strong flavors of dark fruit, malts, with substantial alcohol warmth. This was a lovely "after-dinner drink" and was a very pleasant sipper.

Speaking of dinner, we had delicious fried cheese curds that I've craved since having them at the Olde Fashioned the last time I was in town. Of course they come with a ranch dipping sauce. Of course. We also had a fresh salad of beets, gorgonzola cheese, and walnuts.
A's all around...Here's to bro-mance and good grub. Cheers and happy New Year!

3 comments:

  1. I've never heard of either of those breweries. So glad you had a chance to take in the local brews and, of course, the CHEESE CURDS (jealous!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check out those flushed cheeks. Thanks barleywine!

    ReplyDelete