Friday, December 24, 2010

UBER GOOBER: A blessed treat in a crappy year.

2010, you sucked. I can't wait for you to be over. You sucked for a million reasons. You hear me, 2010? YOU SUCK. The positive part of 2010 was that through all the bullshit, there were some really nice people holding me up. You hear me, nice people? YOU DON'T SUCK.

Anyways, that being done with, we was sittin' shiva, and a good friend of mine who also happens to be a beer geek and who also happens to be named Sarah brought me some damn beer treats. It was perfect. Thank you!!!

She brought me a couple of He'Brews, Kid Rock's beer (as a joke! Blog to come), and some selections from Michigan's own Short's.

From Short's there were 2 different selections - PB and J, and Uber Goober. Both beer treats I had heard of but never had. So I was excited! I shared the PB and J with a bunch of people, and did not care too much for it. The "J" part was kinda funky and not in a good way. But the Uber Goober...Oh man. It was so good that I had to go buy a 6 pack.

Uber Goober is an imperial oatmeal stout brewed with real peanuts. It poured black with a thin fizzy cola-esque brown head that dissipated quickly. The smell was kind of mild, but pleasant. Malty, nutty, definitely had a peanuty presence. As far as the taste goes, this is a nice solid oatmeal stout. Coffee, nutty, vaguely sweet malts, with a prominant peanut after-taste. After drinking it I felt like I had eaten a peanut butter sandwich. And while it is not overly sweet at all, it was reminiscent of a peanut butter milkshake.

The Uber Goober was smooth, full-bodied, creamy, and silky with little carbonation. 6.5% alcohol is a reasonable amount of booze compared to some super boozey imperial stouts. Tasty but filling, 2 were plenty to have in one evening. Peanut butter rules. Stouts rule. And friends rule.

Thanks for helping me get through this ridiculous year. xoxoxo

4 comments:

  1. HE-BREW?! Oh my god. If I was ever sittin' Shiva, I'd probably drink a He-Brew. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try San Miguel, Calsberg, or Tiger Beer. They are from different parts of the world, but each unique and full of flavor. You'll like em!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "So I was sittin' shiva, and let me tell you, it was a bad week! There was chicken salad, egg salad, lox and bagels, kugels and knishes . . ."

    ReplyDelete