Thursday, May 26, 2011

Baltika #9 Extra: My 1st Russian Beer!

I've seen a lotta beer in my day. Never before have I seen a bottle quite like this - it is plastic, with a plastic screw-on top. At 51 ounces and 8% alcohol (for $3.99), this could easily be a dangerous party beer. The brewery is Baltika (check out the website! fun dance music, very European). What is also European is the style of this lager. According to BeerAdvocate, this style is "Euro Strong Lager," a style that uses more malts and less corn/rice (like most American-style lagers). Cool, a new style to explore! And I have to say, I like it.
It poured darker than I expected; a good sign. Medium amber, crystal clear, lots of carbonation, and a huge sudsy white head with little retention. The smell was STRONGLY green apple. Like, regular apples plus artificial green apple, very sweet. And the taste...Again, I was expecting to hop on the train to Blandsville, but this is flavorful! Strong caramel malts, a big apple bite, some grassiness, and a touch of bitter hops. Even with 8% alcohol, I do not detect much in the taste.This has a stronger body than expected as well. Almost too thick. But then again, maybe that's because I'm not familiar with this style. It is not a bad drinking beer. However, it is really sweet. A little too sweet. But, you know, sweet flavor is better than no flavor. Ya know?(Plus I got a cool bottle cap for the ol' collection). B-

4 comments:

  1. So apparently Russian Baltika is a little different than the version they sell in America (per Max). There are 9 grades, with grade 1 being lower alcohol content and grade 9 being the highest. They also alternate between lighter and darker beers as you go up. BUT the big thing is that grades 6-9 also contain VODKA so they are highly alcoholic. Bars won't sell you more than 1 grade 9 in one night because it is just too intense!! But you gotta hand it to the Russians to make it way too easy to drink 51 oz. of beer... plastic screw-top lol...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, a Baltika 1-9 tasting could be fun (and intense). Adding vodka to beer, eh? Interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just image, I accidentally pour the Anti Bacterial/Anti Biotic the glass instead of beer

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm drinking one right now.. The one we buy in america, does not have that sweet taste... Or vodka... Just high alcohol beer.. Good for a fast buzz@$3.50, for 51oz

    ReplyDelete