Thursday, May 31, 2012

Beautiful and Not So Beautiful

Samuel Adams' Tasman Red spoke to me. It is a Red IPA, aka, 2 of my favorites in one. Also reminiscent of one of my most favorite beers ever. The label offers some information: 6.75% ABV, hops from Tasmania, several varieties of malts, and a limited edition beer. Also it's gorgeous. A large sudsy brown head on top of a clear - red - ale, very solid, and still present after a good 5 minutes. Left lots of lacing, and just great to look at. Seriously Tasman Red, you're attractive.
The initial sweetness of the nose surprised me. Bread and caramel along with grapefruit and grass. There's something about the smell I don't really like. Again, the malty sweetness of the taste surprised me, but this time...It was a pleasant surprise! Brown sugar, grassy hops, grapefruit, then roasted malts. Bold, nice flavors. It felt medium-bodied, well-carbonated, somewhat crisp.
Overall, this was a great beer. Attractive, tasty, balanced, strong flavors...Just something about the smell didn't flow for me. But oh geez, I'll try it again, perhaps fresh on tap somewhere. A-

Nobody needs energy drinks in their lives. However, sometimes you kind of do. I admit, I occasionally indulge in a Monster. Monster is superior to Rockstar because of this. Anyways, no this is not a beer, but I had to try the UberMonster which is "produced using proprietary German brewing technology" and includes a (non-alcoholic) fermented malt-base. It was hard to get open. Ah, and then I read the label: "The bigass cap is a little hard to pry off, but it's sorta like, if you can't open it you shouldn't be able to drink it!" The label also informed me that ingredients include water, sucrose, non-alcohol fermented malt base, glucose, and approximately 461 other ingredients.
 

There it is. It did not resemble beer, not even non-alcoholic beer. Just an energy drink. Sweet, fruity, slightly medicinal, and slightly yuckier than some of my preferred Monster varieties of choice.

So, there you have it. One gorgeous drink and one not-so-pretty regular energy drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment